Monday, August 3, 2009

Instant Ancestors

I love old photos! The hairstyles, the clothing, the backgrounds, the ornate folders and frames - all of it!

When I come upon photos that have been abandoned by the family after an old one passes because they didn't know who was in the pictures, it makes me a bit sad that they were forgotten. After all, they were someone's mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter, cousin, etc. They had lives. They had stories. Everyone has a story.

Who were these people? Where did they come from? What did they do with their lives? What were their dreams? What made them laugh? Why did they cry? Who missed them when they were gone?
.
Whenever someone comes into Wellers and "adopts" and ancestor it makes me so happy! After who-knows-how-many years in a trunk or an attic, they finally have a home. Someone will finally care for the photos that represent the lives of these long-forgotten people who dressed up in their best clothes and stood to have their portraits taken. It must have been a big event in their life, unlike today when we take pictures non-stop with our phones.

What a joy it is to see these photographic images become works of art as part of a collage or the cover of a journal. What fun it is to see them turned into comical images with clever captions or speech bubbles. How nice to know they will be framed and used in a home or a business as part of a vintage decor.

Was this the baby's nurse or the nurse's baby? We can only imagine.
A young man's confirmation photo.
A lovely portrait from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

1 comment:

  1. I've often felt the same way when I come across the old photos. I have collected quite a few but haven't been able to take the scissors to them :( I guess I will have to get over that if I ever want to use them! lol

    ReplyDelete