Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How to Remove Tarnish from Silver – The Easy Way!

We just got in some nice old silverware at Weller's - some of it matches and some of it is a very eclectic mix of patterns. I'm starting to get the urge to bend, cut and drill on them! Check them out in the Junque Shoppe next time you're in Rural!

While there is something really lovable about the patina that silver takes on with age, eating with tarnished flatware is not something I’m fond of doing. And, though I also love the look of silver when it shines, I’m not very enthusiastic about getting out the silver polish. Ugh!

I recently read somewhere that you could actually soak the tarnish away so I decided to give it a try with some silver that has been in the family for awhile and will soon become my daughter’s. It’s now her favorite color (shiny) and ready to pack in its case.

All it takes is an old brownie pan or similarly wide but shallow old piece of bake ware. I used an old, beat up one that was aluminum. Line the bottom with a piece of aluminum foil and lay out the silverware on the foil. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over everything and then fill up the pan with boiling water.

The baking soda will react with the foil and you’ll see some gentle bubbling for a few minutes. Let the pan sit until it cools and “voila!” your silver is ready to rinse, dry and use. It’s that simple. Easy-Peasey!

1 comment: